Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Problem with Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update

[caption id="attachment_47" align="alignleft" width="164" caption="Danger Danger! "]

Danger Danger![/caption]

Running Leopard I was notified to run the 10.5.7 update. I did so while I decided to leave and have lunch. After restarting my beautiful HP w2207 monitor wouldn't sync to the correct resolution. I never had problems this an update before...

I'm using a mac mini and the monitor is connected via HDMI> DVI.

I was now annoyed because now a nice warning box was displayed in the middle of my screen and wouldn't go away. To make matters worse the display would go to sleep every 15 seconds. It asked me to set the resolution to 1680 x 1050 60 hz. great except that option was now gone in the display panel.

I tried everything. Nothing worked. After two hours I finally called Apple. They gave me a couple ideas that didn't work. The only thing left was using Time Machine. I had never used it and was a little reluctant to wipe out my Hard drive with a backup system that was untested.

Well I took a leap of faith and went back to the last version TM saved of 10.5.6. I had to boot form my Leopard install disk and do a TM Restore. This took almost 4 hours!

So don't upgrade to 10.5.7 if you connect to a monitor/TV via HDMI cable. Apple is now aware of the problem and a fix is on the way.

For more on this issue and alternate solutions besides Time Machine (See the value of backing up???) goto this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment